Thursday, September 5, 2024

Blog Post #2

The Supreme Court

    Living in the United States, especially as citizens of age to vote, places a immense amount of responsibility to understand how our government functions. One of those key branches to study is the Supreme Court. The Supreme Court is the highest court in our country and plays a significant role in leading the judicial branch and upholding our laws. This timeline studied helped me better understand how key points in history lead to what we call our justice system today. 

    There were two main things I learned about the Supreme Court that I didn't already know. One being the most surprising is that the power of the court to review all actions by all departments of government and them constitutional or not was only really a thing after the case of Marbury v. Madison in 1803. I thought this was something implemented in our justice system from the very beginning and found it interesting that this wasn't always the case. Also makes me wonder what / if there was any unconstitutional behavior by governmental departments that went unpunished.  

    The second thing I learned was the process of how cases get to the Supreme Court and their ability to not take cases through certiorari. I found it interesting how it was mandatory for the Appellate Court to take appeals from the District Court cases, but not for the Supreme Court. I always assumed that it was difficult to take cases to the Supreme Court but if they got there they must be taken on. I do have to say though, learning about how the Appellate Court is there to ensure due process and make sure it was a fair trial and the outcome was correct makes me feel a lot better with how our justice system is being run. 

    The most important takeaway about the Supreme Court I think are the Three BedRock Principles you went over. I think it's extremely important to know that the First Amendment is definitely something built to protect us, but is not absolute, and cannot be used as a shield against laws of general applicability. I think it's an important distinction to make because a lot of people have a misconception about that and believe it is their right to do or say whatever they want because the "First Amendment says so" but the First Amendment really just protects our ability to practice or not practice religion, the ability to speak up against the government if we see fit, to publish our opinions in ways we can reach wider audiences with no governmental interference, and the right to gather together and petition against a decision the government has made. This does not include recklessness and hiding behind the first Amendment, in no world can someone break a speed limit and blame it on their religion. It just wouldn't happen!

    I think this video really just helped me better understand the purpose of the judicial branch and how exactly I, as a citizen, am protected in this country. I think this should be common knowledge for Americans as we all live in this country and abide by these rules, knowing them is the most basic way to prevent yourself from getting into trouble - especially if you are an advocate type. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

EOTO #1

 Instant Messages (IM)     Instant Messaging has been around since 1990s , and establishes a direct connection between people, so they can t...